Sunday, December 20, 2009

Making New Friends

There are some people out there who get nervous and scared when meeting new people. I think I used to be one of them. Nowadays, I can't imagine anything more enjoyable.

The last week, I got to know two new people. I got to conversat'n with them and took the opportunity to pick their minds and understand how they think. I think we hit it off well. One can never have enough friends, they say. As a plus, one of them is now an avid reader of this blog!(or so he claims.) But I think the best reason to make new friends is so that they might introduce you to their other friends. Then, you can have more friends!

Be selective though. It is as they say: You can't choose your relations, but you can choose your friends.

But since we're on the topic of friends, let's have a discussion of the recent advances in friend-making technologies. As far as I know, the best way of starting good, long lasting friendships is through the old-fashioned, tried-and true "friend-of-a-friend" method. This method has been used for as long as humankind has been around. But recent(relative to the existence of humankind) advances like telephones(cellphones increasing the technological benefit by a exponential factor of 5ish) and the internet have improved upon this friend-of-a-friend method. All the myriad of new networking sites(Facebook, MySpace, and, God forbid, Classmates.com) have made it easier to keep in touch with friends, old and new, and the potential benefits of these sites to stalkers and authorities alike cannot be discounted.

However, as time goes on and the world becomes more wired to this thing called the internet, can you imagine the possibility that one day, your friends will only be identified by a 'net handle? It's already happening, on instant messaging applications, through email, on gaming networks...

If it happens that one day, the world becomes immersed in virtual reality, in the tradition of Surrogates and The Matrix, do you realize that it is not beyond belief that your child's future BFF will be an entity named 1337aCer2092?

In other news:

Why the hell does everyone believe I'm gay? Is it because I'm not as homophobic as you are? Post your reasoning in the comments, so that I might either come out of the closet(unlikely) or go slap you across the face with a trout(much more likely).

On the other hand, if I was gay, are there any hot women out there who might wish to try and cure my gay? Hypothetically speaking, of course.


Tag teams are allowed, even encouraged.

No comments: