Friday, December 18, 2009

What I like about Mormons

I'm not a religious person. That said, I do believe there's something out there, and I do believe that the very existence of the universe is not something that happened at random.

I believe religion and belief are two different things, and religion is not something I really practice. Actually, I am of the mind that religions have caused more trouble than good, what with all the religious conflicts throughout history, but occasionally I will run across something I find particularly useful, yet related to religion.

If any of you are curious, what religious leanings I do have gravitate toward Shinto, Taoism, and Zen Buddhism. I find them more...serene, for lack of a better word, than other religions I've encountered, but that's a post for another time.

Anyways. So I was surfing the net while on a long (emphasis on long) break from studying for finals, and I ran across some mentions of a survival preparedness guide published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints(the Mormons, to those of you who haven't figured that out yet). Intrigued, I Google'd it and found this.

And I'll tell you right now. It gets real. 222 pages of real.

Apparently, the Mormon Church believes in self-reliance in a big way. They  require adherents to prepare a year's worth of food for every member of their households. If said adherents really follow these instructions, I can see Salt Lake City being the best chance for humanity's continuation if we ever had a TEOTWAWKI(The End Of The World As We Know It) situation.

In the guide is a comprehensive week by week schedule for purchasing supplies, with descriptions of what to buy, when to buy it, how to store it, when it should be rotated, substitutions, and how to prepare whatever it is you bought. There's plans, instructions, suggestions and straight out "Don't Do That"s for numerous situations, nuclear war included(no zombie infection strategies though). Also included are possible situations where the authorities will violate your Constitutional rights on whim, giving you reasons why going it alone might be the better option. Bug-Out-Bag and 72 hour plans and equipment lists can also be found within these digital pages.

Read it. Preferably before any SHTF.

No comments: